Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Derrick Rose: Believe the Hype?

On Tuesday, Derrick Rose declared his NBA eligibility. Rose is the probable first selection. “Derrick is one of the great players I've ever coached, but of even more importance, he is one of the greatest teammates I've been around,” said Memphis Coach John Calipari. “We are forever indebted to Derrick and his family for what they did for not only this basketball program, but also for the University and the city of Memphis.”

Last season, Rose averaged 14.9 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 4.7 assists per contest. He tallied nine twenty-plus point contests. In the NCAA Tournament, Rose averaged 20.8 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 6.0 assists per contest. “This is not a step I take lightly, although it has always been a dream of mine to play in the NBA. After weighing all of the options -- with which I am blessed -- I feel that it is the right time for me to take this step,” Rose said. “My only regret is not winning a national title for the University of Memphis.”

Rose hails from Chicago. He wears number twenty-three. Rose’s ambition is obvious. Can he channel Michael Jordan?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home