Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Yankees Settle For Joe Girardi

George, Hal, and Hank Steinbrenner are petulant children. If they are not jubilant, they scream. If they are not feted, they bluster. If they feel impotent, they shriek. If they feel unsatisfied, they harangue. Within their world, the Steinbrenners are knowledgeable and professional. Truthfully, they are New York’s menace.

On October 18, the New York Yankees insulted Joe Torre. On Monday, they hired Joe Girardi. Girardi signed a 3-year, $7.5 million contract. “I don't think you can ever replace a figure because that figure is unique in his own way. What I'm going to do is I'm going to be myself,” Girardi said. “And yes, are there expectations on me and, you know, the coaching staff and the players? Absolutely. The same expectations that were on Joe Torre when he came in in 1996. I can't be Joe Torre because I'm made up different. You know, I'm a different character, so I don't really necessarily worry about replacing someone or how I'm going to replace someone. I'm more worried about just being myself and getting the most out of the guys.”

“I expect to be playing in the fall classic next October. I think that's everyone's expectation,” Girardi continued. “I've been there some years, and I haven't been there some years, and I've broadcast there some years, and let me tell you, it's much better when you're in uniform and you're there.”

During his New York tenure, Torre racked a 1,173-767 record. He amassed four World Series championships, six American League championships, and ten division championships. He also accrued twelve consecutive playoff appearances.

Simply stated, Torre deserved better. He should have been retained. He should have retired a Yankee. Torre did not fail. Steinbrenner failed. He misspent and overspent. He interfered. He exchanged consistency for relics. Unsurprisingly, Steinbrenner’s roster did not win.

This offseason, Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada, and Mariano Rivera are free agents. Concerning Torre, each pledged loyalty. This is their test. Torre is departed. Is their motivation monetary? Is their motivation fidelity? Personally, I hope they exit. I hope they showcase humanity. Pettitte, Posada, and Rivera may be Yankees. However, New York’s identity has disintegrated.

For thirty-four years, George Steinbrenner has ruled the Yankees. He has been an incorrigible monarch. His tenure has been uncomplicated. His solutions immaturely simple. Some disappointments cast into emergency. Some cast into jail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home