Friday, November 09, 2007

Lindros Career: Hype, Hurt, & Departure

Eric Lindros’ career was bizarre. He was a prodigy. He was selected first. He rebuked Quebec. He was traded. His Philadelphia tenure sizzled and soured. He was traded again. His New York act fizzled. His final seasons were obscure.

On Thursday, Lindros retired. A press conference was not held. Photographs were not snapped. Instead, Lindros’ career concluded via a press release. “My decision to retire from professional hockey is something that I have been considering for some time and did not come easily,” Lindros said. “I will miss the day-to-day activity of being a member of a team and the camaraderie that I developed with my teammates will never be forgotten. I played with the best, I played against the best -- it was a blast. It really truly was. I enjoyed myself immensely.”

During his career, Lindros recorded 372 goals and 493 assists. In Philadelphia (8 seasons), he amassed 290 goals and 369 assists. In New York (3 seasons), he accrued 66 goals and 92 assists. In Toronto and Dallas (1 season each), he totaled 16 goals and 32 assists.

Lindros is a calamity. His potential unexplored. His personality abrasive and disastrous. Lindros is an exploded misfortune. He commenced with potential. His career concludes with one question… Greatest NHL bust ever?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home