Monday, January 22, 2007

A Time For Rape?

This week, the movie “Hounddog” will be released. Starring Dakota Fanning, the film is set in 1950. The feature’s plot points include a girl gyrating in her underwear, a naked father climbing into bed as his daughter awakens, an exposure demand for a kiss, and the graphic rape of the twelve-year-old star.

While this synopsis is shocking, Fanning’s retort to critics is disturbing. “You know, I’m an actress,” she said. “It’s what I want to do, it’s what I’ve been so lucky to have done for almost seven years now. And I am getting older. February 23 is my birthday, I’ll be 13 years old. And I will be playing different kinds of roles. I won’t be able to do the things I did when I was 6 years old when I’m 14. And that’s what I look forward to — getting to play new roles that aren’t too old for me and aren’t too young for me, that are just at the right time.”

Occasionally, stars espouse vile. This is horrific. There is no time for rape. The graphic rape of a thirty-year-old may allow women to relate a life experience. The graphic rape of a pre-teenage is sick, twisted, and disgusting. Fanning’s statement is unforgivable. Acting is acting. Hollywood’s complete disregard of morality is expected. This twelve-year-old’s defense of her actions is deplorable.

Fanning is maturing. She must attempt new roles. She should explore her talent and test herself. However, this role entailed excrement. Her justification was repugnant. There is no age for graphic rape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home