Monday, February 16, 2009

Uncorrectable Mistake

Cores are imperative. If aesthetics are altered, franchises sacrifice their appeal. If approaches are altered, franchises sacrifice their familiarity. If a core is altered, franchises sacrifice their character, conviction, heart, and resolve.

On Monday, the Phoenix Suns fired Coach Terry Porter. Assistant Coach Alvin Gentry supplanted him. “I hired Terry because I believed in him,” said General Manager Steve Kerr. “He's got a ton of integrity and dignity and class, and he's got a great work ethic. I hired him because I believed he was the best man for the job. In the last month, it became apparent to me that, look, this is not working, what we're trying is not working. I think we still can make this a very successful season. This was a move I think we had to make in order to give our team the best chance for success.”

During his career, Porter logged an 86-103 record. In Milwaukee (2 seasons), he accrued a 71-93 record. Upon his firing, the Suns stood 28-23. “We are who we are and I think we have to go back to trying to establish a breakneck pace like we've had in the past,” said Gentry. “We have enough talent that we should not be on the outside looking in right now.”

From 2004-2007, the Suns amassed a 177-69 record. Unfortunately, they acquired Shaquille O’Neal. They fired Mike D'Antoni. Phoenix should have never altered their core.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home