Thursday, August 07, 2008

Favre, Packers Conclude Conundrum

The Green Bay Packers vs. Brett Favre. In this convoluted catharsis, there were no winners. There were no losers. They were both jerks. Favre was egotistical, narcissistic, and selfish. The Packers were circuitous, petulant, and rude. Thankfully, the jerks have separated.

On Thursday morning, the Packers traded Favre to the New York Jets. As reciprocation, the Packers received a fourth round selection. Assuming Favre excels, said selection will ascend. “I always wanted to be a Packer and I think I always will be a Packer,” said Favre. “I'm not a traitor, never will be. It's business. It's the way it works. I gave everything I could possibly give. I hope the Jets fans see the same thing.”

“I think we're probably both at fault,” he continued. “I'm not going to blame one side or the other. A lot of things happened this season, a lot of shocking things. But at this point it's irrelevant.”

On March 4, Favre retired. On July 12, he reconsidered. For two weeks, CEO Mark Murphy, General Manager Ted Thompson, and Favre sniped. On July 26, the Packers chose Aaron Rodgers.

Undaunted, Favre received reinstatement. He reported. He retreated. On August 7, he was traded. “We wish him the best,” said Coach Mike McCarthy. “There's no ill feelings. He has a positive reputation within this organization.”

During his career, Favre has started 253 contests. He has completed 5,377 of 8,758 passes (61%). He has amassed 61,655 yards with 442 touchdowns and 288 interceptions.

Favre has garnered three NFL Most Valuable Player Awards. He won Super Bowl XXXI. He has accrued ten playoff appearances. His records include career completions, attempts, yards, touchdowns, and interceptions.

Concerning Favre and Green Bay, I support neither. I abhor them both. Favre is arrogant and overvalued. The Packers were incompetent and sanctimonious. Ultimately, the victor will be obvious. If Rodgers shimmers, Green Bay triumphs. If New York improves, Favre triumphs. Personally, I crave this scenario… The Jets succeed, Favre retires, and McCarthy, Murphy, and Thompson are fired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home