Sunday, April 06, 2008

Golden Cheer: Cal Hires Mike Montgomery

On Saturday, California hired Coach Mike Montgomery. Montgomery signed a six-year contract. “The Cal family is quite acquainted with his experience, skills and talents," said Athletic Director Sandy Barbour. “Much will be said about his longstanding ties with our rival, Stanford. Frankly, I am far more concerned with the fact that his daughter (Anne) played volleyball at USC than I am him having a minor affiliation with that school across the Bay.”

During his career, Montgomery has amassed a 615-340 record. In Montana (10 seasons), Montgomery racked a 154-77 record. In Stanford, he registered a 393-167 record. In Golden State, he logged a 68-96 ledger. According to Montgomery, his NBA tenure was incomplete. “I think I belong in college basketball,” he said. “I think I proved that. Maybe I would have liked a little longer to prove it.”

California’s decision is brilliant. Montgomery is an excellent tactician. He is an exemplary individual. Concerning Ben Braun’s firing, I was uncertain. With that stated, Montgomery is an impact hire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home