Sunday, April 06, 2008

Crean’s Calling: Ignite Indiana

Since firing Bobby Knight, the Indiana Hoosiers have withered. They have accrued a 161-98 record. They have assembled an 8-6 NCAA Tournament record. They have dismissed two coaches.

On Wednesday, Indiana hired Marquette Coach Tom Crean. Crean signed an 8-year, $18.24 million contract. According to Crean, his decision was emotional. “This was a heart decision,” he said. “This was not a business decision or a legacy decision. I'd had other opportunities to walk away [from Marquette], and none of them felt like this. I'm going to miss those people a lot, but I'm excited to be here.”

During his career, Crean has logged a 190-96 ledger. He has secured five NCAA Tournament appearances. “I'm taking over a very challenging situation, and I know it is and you know it is,” Crean said. “But that lit something in my heart because Indiana is bigger than any one person. I can't tell you with eloquence how I feel. It's Indiana. It's Indiana.”

From 1971-2000, Indiana amassed a 661-240 record. They won three NCAA championships. They garnered eleven conference championships. Unfortunately, Myles Brand’s ego exploded. Hopefully, Crean can heal the Hoosiers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home