Sunday, March 30, 2008

Braun Out

On Wednesday, California fired Coach Ben Braun. According to Athletic Director Sandy Barbour, Braun’s record was inadequate. “Ultimately, the bottom line is we just didn't win enough basketball games,” Barbour said. “I believe this is a very talented team and I believe they underperformed. ... It concerns me not to put the student-athletes in position to have outrageous success.”

During his career, Braun logged a 219-154 ledger. He won the 1999 National Invitation Tournament. He amassed five NCAA Tournament appearances. “I'd like to thank the Cal community for 12 great years of support,” Braun said. “I've had the privilege to coach at one of the top universities in the country, and I'm proud of the program we've built. Going to eight postseason tournaments has been very special. I'm obviously disappointed that my staff and I won't be able to coach this team next year, and I feel they will be very successful.”

Winning is insufficient. NCAA and NIT appearances are insufficient. Championships are the objective. Talent increases expectations. Tenure intensifies inferiority. The aforesaid dismantled Braun. His seasons outnumbered successes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home