Sunday, February 10, 2008

Shockingly, Bob Knight Resigns

For forty-two seasons, Bob Knight criticized, cursed, excoriated, and screamed. He berated athletes. He elevated performance. Knight was not conciliatory. He was not fatherly. Yet, he was not a bastard. His passions were simply consuming… basketball and victory.

On Monday, Knight abruptly resigned. Pat Knight, his son, supplanted him. “There's a transition that's going to take place here from me to Pat and I've dwelt on this all year long ... how it would be best for him and for the team and for what we can do in the long run to make this the best thing for Texas Tech,” Knight said.

According to Coach John Wooden, Knight was singular. “I guess you can never be surprised at some of the things Bob does,” Wooden said. “I don't think there's ever been a better teacher of the game of basketball than Bob. I don't always approve of his methods, but his players for the most part are very loyal to him. I would say that no player that ever played for him would not say he did not come out a stronger person.”

During his career, Knight amassed a 902-371 record. He won three NCAA Championships. He garnered eleven conference championships. In Army, Knight racked a 102-50 record. In Indiana, he registered a 661-240 record. In Texas Tech, he logged a 138-82 ledger.

Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski praised Knight. “Outside of my immediate family, no single person has had a greater impact on my life than Coach Knight,” Krzyzewski said. “I have the ultimate respect for him as a coach and a mentor, but even more so as a dear friend. For more than 40 years, the life lessons I have learned from Coach are immeasurable. Simply put, I love him.”

Amidst his departure, Knight seems satisfied. “I've simply tried to do what I think is best,” Knight said. “Regrets? Sure. Just like the song. I have regrets. I wish I could have done things better at times. I wish I would have had a better answer, a better way, at times. But just like he said, I did it my way and when I look back on it, I don't think my way was all that bad.”

On September 11, 2000, Indiana President Myles Brand fired Knight. This blotch is not ignorable. However, Brand’s ego should not stain Knight’s legacy. Knight was a counselor, educator, mentor, and teacher. He never sought notoriety. When eyeing trouble, he was never indirect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home