Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Fred 08: Fuss, Fizzle, & Failure

On Tuesday, former Senator Fred Thompson renounced his presidential candidacy. During his campaign, Thompson accrued only eight delegates. “Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the United States,” Thompson said. “I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people.”

Thompson’s failure was predictable. From the outset, he was uninspiring, uninteresting, and unprepared. In Iowa and South Carolina, he finished third. In Michigan and Nevada, he finished fifth. In New Hampshire, he finished sixth. Ultimately, Days of Thunder defined Thompson. His candidacy was akin to Japanese inspection. Thompson was hyped. He was provoked. Unfortunately, his candidacy went rotten. A victory proved impossible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home