Saturday, January 19, 2008

Clinton, McCain Squelch Momentum, Score New Hampshire

Assume nothing. Direct. Simple. Unequivocal. Yet, humans assume. We imagine ramifications and scenarios. We presuppose results. Clichés caution us. History warns us. Yet, we assume. We paralyze ourselves with the invalid.

On January 8, Senator Hillary Clinton won the New Hampshire Democratic Primary. Simultaneously, Senator John McCain won the New Hampshire Republican Primary. Clinton (39%) slipped Senator Barack Obama (37%). McCain (37%) outscored Governor Mitt Romney (32%).

During her victory speech, Clinton credited New Hampshire. “Over the last week, I listened to you and in the process, I found my own voice,” she said. “I felt like we all spoke from our hearts, and I am so gratified that you responded. Now, together, let’s give America the kind of comeback that New Hampshire has just given me.”

Meanwhile, McCain recounted his strategy. “When the pundits declared us finished, I told them, "I'm going to New Hampshire, where the voters don't let you make their decision for them,"” he said. “And when they asked, "how are you going to do it? You're down in the polls. You don't have the money." I answered, "I'm going to New Hampshire, and I'm going to tell people the truth.”

Women incited Clinton’s resurgence. Clinton garnered them (46-34), caucasian females (46-33), and non-caucasian females (50-38). She also scored parents (39-37), married women (45-32), non-married women (51-32). Amidst his defeat, Obama remained positive. “A few weeks ago, no one imagined that we'd have accomplished what we did here tonight,” he said. “For most of this campaign, we were far behind, and we always knew our climb would be steep. But in record numbers, you came out and spoke up for change. And with your voices and your votes, you made it clear that at this moment – in this election – there is something happening in America.”

L.L. Cool J owns this evening. For Clinton and McCain, do not call this a comeback. We have been here before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home