Monday, December 17, 2007

Necessary Agent: Rodriguez Rejoins Yankees

Players require agents. The necessity is reciprocal. Sans agents, players were vulnerable. The reserve clause would still exist. Sans players, agents are clientless. An industry would not have exploded.

On Thursday, the New York Yankees retained Alex Rodriguez. Rodriguez signed a 10-year, $275 million contract. “It seemed like the whole thing was a roller-coaster. It was very emotional,” Rodriguez said. “All along, I knew I wanted to be a Yankee. I have a lot to prove in New York. I think the criticism is what comes with being in New York.”

During the World Series, Rodriguez exited his 10-year, $252 million contract. Subsequently, he was excoriated. Major League Baseball, media outlets, and Yankees Owner Hank Steinbrenner skewered the superstar. Appropriately, Rodriguez admitted his mistake. “It was a huge debacle,” he said. “The timing was distasteful and very inappropriate. I made mistakes. I've got to look in the mirror. If I had to do it again, I would've called Hank from Day 1 and negotiated myself.”

During his career, Rodriguez has batted .306 with 518 home runs and 1,503 runs batted in. In New York, Rodriguez has batted .303. He also amassed 173 home runs and 513 runs batted in. In 2007, Rodriguez won the American League Most Valuable Player Award. He swatted .314 with 54 home runs and 156 runs batted in.

On Sunday, Sixty Minutes interviewed Rodriguez. He discussed free agency, postseason failure, and steroids. Throughout the dialogue, Rodriguez was himself. Slightly arrogant. Yet, extraordinarily personable and talented.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home