Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Hargrove Admirably Resigns

On Sunday, Seattle Mariners Manager Mike Hargrove resigned. Despite eight consecutive victories, Hargrove stated he was passionless. “There are no dark, sinister reasons for this decision,” he said. “This has been my decision. I have no reason to lie. I've daily challenged my players to give me the best that they've got, 100 percent of what they've got that day -- physically and mentally. And they've done that. Without fail, they've done that. I have never had to work at getting that level myself -- ever -- until recently. I've found that I've had to work harder in making that same commitment to my bosses, to my players and to my coaches. And that's not right. They deserve better. They are good people. There is a good thing going on here. And it's time for me to leave.”

Hargrove’s decision is admirable. He could have remained silent. He could have accrued salary. Respectably, he did not. He valued commitment. I applaud him. Hargrove was an exemplary manager. Both Major League Baseball and the Mariners will miss him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home