Saturday, April 07, 2007

Billy Donovan, Gator

Thank you Billy Donovan. Thank you for ignoring greed. Thank you for displaying loyalty. Thank you for not discarding a winning program for a ravenous program. Thank you for not confusing excellence and tradition.

Officially, Donovan has spurned Kentucky. He will remain with Florida. According to Donovan, his decision was obvious. "It came down to one thing -- I'm happy," Donovan said. "My family is happy. The job was never offered to me. I did talk to Mitch [Barnhart]. I appreciate him never calling me during the NCAA tournament. He handled it first class. I never wanted this to be a bidding war with Kentucky and Florida. You can't buy happiness, and the school [Florida] has always taken care of me."

During his Florida tenure, Donovan has accrued a 265-103 ledger. He has posted a 22-7 NCAA tournament record. The aforesaid includes three championship contest appearances. Since 2005, Donovan’s Gators have tallied sixty-eight wins, twelve consecutive NCAA tournament victories, consecutive SEC tournament championships, and consecutive NCAA tournament championships. Simultaneously, Kentucky has garnered a 44-25 record.

Donovan’s decision was correct. Florida is a flourishing program. Their location is gorgeous, their facilities are exceptional, and their fans are appreciative. Kentucky is faded relic. They are an embittered dinosaur whose grandest days are memories. Donovan realized this. Kentucky fans should also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home