Thursday, August 13, 2009

Stallworth’s Suspension is Little Punishment

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s justice is predictable and putrid. Athletes dishonor their franchise. They dishonor the NFL. They are suspended for one season. They are reinstated. Apologies or restitution is unnecessary.

On April 1, Donte' Stallworth was charged with DUI manslaughter. He plead guilty. He received thirty days incarceration. On Thursday, Stallworth’s ridiculous reprimands continued. He was suspended for one season. “There is no question that your actions had tragic consequences to an innocent man and his family, and that you have violated both the Substances of Abuse and Personal Conduct Policies,” said Goodell. “In that respect, you are clearly guilty of conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the NFL. Your conduct endangered yourself and others, leading to the death of an innocent man. The NFL and NFL players must live with the stain that you have placed on their reputations.”

Stallworth’s response was reflective. “Commissioner Goodell called me this morning,” he said. “Obviously, I am disappointed, but, as I said previously, I accept the Commissioner's decision. Regardless of the length of my suspension, I will carry the burden of Mr. Reyes' death for the rest of my life. I urge NFL fans not to judge NFL players or me based on my tragic lapse in judgment. I am a good person who did a bad thing. I will use the period of my suspension to reflect, fulfill my obligations, and use this experience to make a positive impact on the lives of those who look up to NFL players.”

During his career, Stallworth has amassed 296 receptions, 4,383 yards, and 32 touchdowns. From 2002-2005 (56 games), he tallied 195 receptions, 2,891 yards, and 23 touchdowns. From 2006-2008 (39 games), he has totaled 101 receptions, 1,492 yards, and 9 touchdowns.

In 1998, Leonard Little was charged with DUI manslaughter. He plead guilty. He received ninety days incarceration. He was suspended for eight contests. Goodell’s sentence appears stricter. Unfortunately, Little and Stallworth’s realities will correspond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home