Saturday, February 07, 2009

Gone in Sixty Seconds

A moment exists… In this moment, intensity is inconsequential. Motivation is unimportant. Power is pointless. Resolve is worthless. Strength is useless. Will is irrelevant.

On February 1, Rafael Nadal defeated Roger Federer 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 6-2. The epic consumed four hours and twenty-seven minutes. “I was a little bit tired,” said Nadal. “I was little bit worried about my physical performance because [when] I trained, it was tough to keep up the concentration. I spoke with my coach before the match and he told me to go out there and fight all the time and believe in the victory.”

Federer’s reaction was poignant. “I mean, it's more like, in the first moment you're disappointed, you're shocked, you're sad, you know, then all of a sudden it overwhelms you,” said Federer. “The problem is you can't go in the locker room and just take it easy and take a cold shower. You're stuck out there. [During the trophy presentation] It's the worst feeling. ... it's rough.”

During his career, Nadal has recorded six grand slam titles. He has registered eight grand slam finals appearances. Conversely, Federer has amassed thirteen grand slam titles. He has accrued eighteen grand slam finals appearances.

In the fifth set, Federer eyed Nadal. Federer craved victory. He possessed intensity, motivation, power, resolve, strength, and will. Unfortunately, he could not win. Nadal owned the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home