Sunday, July 06, 2008

Venus Vanquishes Serena

Previously, they had met. Their encounters were not epic. Their performances were shady and suspect. Individually, they governed and oppressed women’s tennis. Opposite each other, they were awkward and suspicious.

On Saturday, Venus Williams defeated Serena Williams 7-5, 6-4. With her victory, Venus accrued her fifth Wimbledon championship. “I'm definitely more in tune with my sister's feelings because one of us has to win and one of us has to lose,” said Venus. “You could never detract from winning a Wimbledon, so of course it doesn't detract from that. But I'm definitely thinking about how my sister's feeling.”

During their careers, Venus and Serena Williams have recorded 15 grand slam titles. They have registered 24 grand slam finals appearances. Venus has accrued seven titles and thirteen finals. Serena has amassed eight titles and eleven finals. “I didn't want the same trend to keep happening,” said Venus. “So I climbed a tiny little notch up. It's 2-5. Still behind, but I'm working on it.”

In their previous clashes, Venus and Serena strained and struggled. In this contest, they scored and sparred. The difference? They were women’s standards. Now, they are simply competitors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home