Tuesday, April 29, 2008

False Farewell… Pat Riley Resigns

Pat Riley was arrogant. He was arduous, obstinate, pompous, smug, and superior. Riley abused players. He despised skeptics. Within himself, Riley conveyed brilliance and conviction. Outwardly, he projected conceit and scorn.

On Monday, Riley reassigned himself. He remains president. Erik Spoelstra will coach. “Pat Riley has instilled in me values that enabled me to win a championship in just three seasons,” said Dwyane Wade. “I've seen him do the necessary things to make us winners and I believe that with his focus on being president and his commitment to the team, we will once again become a contender. I believe in Coach Spo and have complete confidence that our team will succeed with him at the helm.”

“I think the call from the Hall of Fame did something to me,” said Riley. “There was a lot of emotion on that telephone call. When you come to the finish, or you know it's the best time, it's a clean ending.”

During his career, Riley amassed a 1,210-694 record. In Los Angeles (9 seasons), Riley racked a 533-194 record. In New York (4 seasons), he registered a 223-105 record. In Miami (11 seasons), he logged a 454-395 ledger. Overall, Riley garnered six NBA championships, nine conference championships, and eighteen division championships.

“I'm leaving mine behind me,” Riley said. “I'm leaving last year behind me. It's been a wonderful experience and it's been a great journey. Now it's Erik's.”

Riley’s legacy is convoluted. He won five championships. He stole one. He advanced immense talents. He alienated immense talents. Riley merits celebration. Yet, his exodus is void.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home