Monday, November 19, 2007

Consistently, Impotent Carr Ignored Reality

Lloyd Carr was infuriating. He was abrupt, churlish, discourteous, irritable, and surly. He was insolent and rude. Carr abused reporters. He punished skeptics. Within himself, Carr conveyed brilliance and conviction. Outwardly, he projected anxiety, arrogance, and insecurity.

On Monday, Carr resigned. During his press conference, Carr articulated his rationale. “I wanted to be able to walk out of here knowing that to the very last minute, I did my job to the best of my ability,” Carr said. “And I know I'll be able to do that. I'm not tired. I may look tired, but I still have a great passion for the game, for the players and for the competition. But I also know that there are some things that I don't have anymore, and so it's time.”

Potential successors include Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Coach Jon Gruden, LSU Coach Les Miles, Atlanta Falcons Coach Bobby Petrino, and Oklahoma Coach Bob Stoops. Presumably, Carr will have input. “My timing is based on one thing, what is best for Michigan football,” he said. “There are no other motives. To do it after a bowl game would have been absolutely ridiculous.”

During thirteen campaigns, Carr accrued a 121-40 record. He amassed five Big Ten titles. He also garnered the 1997 Associated Press National Championship. Versus Ohio State, Carr was 6-7. Versus Jim Tressel, he was an apocryphal 1-6. In the postseason, Carr was 5-7. Unfortunately, Michigan has lost four consecutive contests.

Ultimately, Carr never accepted this premise… Critics and reporters were not his players. He could not control them. He could not intimidate them. Media mastery is not required. However, media appreciation eases circumstances. Essentially, Carr was Woody Hayes. Except, Hayes won four national and thirteen conference championships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home