Sunday, October 07, 2007

Golden Girl Declines

Marion Jones was the “it girl.” She was gorgeous. She was athletic. She was charming and personable. Jones mainstreamed track and field. Her sweat was glamorous. Unfortunately, she was fleeting. Akin to every it girl, Jones’ reign was temporary.

On Friday, Jones plead guilty to lying to federal investigators. On January 11, she will be sentenced. Allegedly, Jones will receive six months incarceration. However, her judge retains discretion.

Following her admission, Jones tearfully apologized. “It's with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you that I have betrayed your trust,” she said. “I have been dishonest, and you have the right to be angry with me. I have let [my family] down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down. I recognize that by saying I'm deeply sorry, it might not be enough and sufficient to address the pain and hurt that I've caused you. Therefore, I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.”

Prior to the 2000 Olympics, Jones was truculent. Her stated ambition? Five gold medals. Jones won the women’s one and two hundred meters. She assisted the 4 x 400 meter victors. She scored two bronze medals. Including World Championships, Jones amassed seven gold, one silver, and three bronze medals.

Shimmer is not value. Value is appreciation. Following her mirage, Jones glittered. She was idolized. Unfortunately, she depreciated. Track is an individual sport. Jones was an alpha solo. Unfortunately, she validated a modular maxim. Everyone is unique, until they prove otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home