Monday, July 27, 2009

Goodell’s Line Erased With Embarrassment

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell cavorts as an authoritarian. Athletes embarrass their franchise. They embarrass the NFL. Goodell eviscerates them. Unfortunately, Goodell’s persona is an illusion. His presentation is castigation and exile. His reality is reprimand and return.

On Monday, Goodell reinstated Michael Vick. "I do recognize that some will never forgive him for what he did,” said Goodell. “I hope that the public will have a chance to understand his position as I have."”

On July 17,2007, Vick, as well as associates Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips, and Tony Taylor were charged with competitive dog fighting. On July 26, Vick plead not guilty. On July 27, Taylor plead guilty. On August 17, Peace and Phillips plead guilty. On August 24, Vick acquiesced. He received twenty-three months incarceration. He served eighteen months.

Vick’s reaction was reflective. “I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League,” he said. “I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given. As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to re-evaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I have made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward.”

During his career, Vick has completed 930 of 1,730 passes for 11,505 yards with 71 touchdowns and 52 interceptions. He has also logged 523 carries for 3,859 yards and 21 touchdowns. In 2006, Vick hit 204 of 388 aerials for 2,474 yards with 20 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

Rehabilitation is appropriate and noble. However, Vick is an irreversible precedent. Goodell has renounced his authority. He has surrendered his morality. His actions have inferred the abhorrent. Athleticism trumps character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home