Friday, January 23, 2009

He Should Have Won

The NFL recycles inadequacy. Bruce Coslet. Dick Jauron. Bobby Ross. Wade Phillips. None have won championships. All received second opportunities. Since 1990, 20 coaches have been recycled. Only eight have scored conference championship contest appearances.

On Friday, the Kansas City Chiefs fired Coach Herman Edwards. According to General Manager Scott Pioli, alteration was necessary. “Since my arrival last week, Herm and I have had several conversations as part of my overall evaluation of the football operation,” said Pioli. “After careful consideration, Clark and I felt that it was best to make a change. What I conveyed last week in the press conference I still believe to be true -- Herm is a great man and a tremendous football coach. He respects the game and the league, and he is passionate about his players and his craft.”

“Over the course of this last week, I have also spent time meeting and visiting with most of the assistant coaches, and I will continue to do so over the next several days,” Pioli continued. “All of the coaches from last year's staff, with the exception of one, are under contract through the 2009 season.”

During his career, Edwards amassed a 56-78 record. He accrued one division title. He secured four playoff appearances. In New York, he racked a 41-44 record. In Kansas City, he registered a 15-34 record.

Edwards’ response was intriguing. “I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the Hunt Family for the opportunity to spend nine seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs,” he said. “It has truly been an honor and a privilege to serve as the head coach of 'Lamar's Team' the past three seasons.”

“This is going to be a very good football team,” Edwards continued. “The support of Chiefs fans across the country has been tremendous. They are truly passionate about their football team. Chiefs fans will be proud to cheer for this team for many years to come. With the tremendous nucleus of young talent on this roster, I sincerely believe that his team is poised to do great things. I respect the tough decision that was made to move in a new direction. I wish the players and the organization the very best as they move forward.”

On October 30, 2002, Edwards enunciated sport’s objective. “This is what's great about sports,” he said. “This is what the greatest thing about sports is. You play to win the game. Hello? You play to win the game.”

Edwards’ results never resembled this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home