Monday, January 26, 2009

Crimson Turmoil: Gottfriend Quits

Sports are emotional. Given this, decisions are coerced, illogical, pressed, and unsupported. Mistakes are never considered. They are simply corrected with another.

On Monday, Alabama Coach Mark Gottfried resigned. Assistant Coach Philip Pearson supplanted him. “It has been a wonderful decade for me and my family, and I love the University of Alabama, but I feel that it is in the best interests of everyone involved,” said Gottfried.

Pearson’s reaction was mixed. “This was obviously not what I expected today when I came here to work,” he said. “It's a tough situation and obviously Mark and I are very close. I worked with him for 14 years and Coach Moore called me in today and asked if I would take over the team for the rest of the season. Certainly, I told him that I would. This Alabama basketball program is something that is very special to me.”

During his tenure, Gottfried amassed a 210-132 record. He scored two SEC Western Division titles. He secured five NCAA Tournament appearances. Upon his resignation, Alabama stood 12-7.

Gottfried’s exodus is stunning. Unfortunately, his exodus epitomizes sports. Gottfriend acted. He should assessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home