Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Volunteer Vapidity

Once, icons and institutions were inseparable. Bear Bryant and Alabama. Woody Hayes and Ohio State. Tom Osborne and Nebraska. Bo Schembechler and Michigan. Phillip Fulmer endured eighteen seasons.

On Saturday, Fulmer resigned. On Monday, former Oakland Raiders Coach Lane Kiffin supplanted him. “I'm not promising how many wins we're going to have, how many championships,” said Kiffin. “I can't do that, there's too many variables in all that. But I can tell you this right now, no one's going to outwork us, no one's going to outwork me as a head coach, and no one's going to outwork our staff that we put together.”

During his tenure, Fulmer amassed a 152-52 record. He won the 1998 NCAA Championship. He garnered two Southeastern Conference championships. He scored seven SEC Eastern Division titles. Within the SEC, Fulmer was 98-34.

With the Raiders, Kiffin logged a 5-15 ledger. “The experience has been unbelievable and then to combine that with still being young enough to be able to relate to recruits and be able to manage them and handle them, I think is very valuable,” said Kiffin. “I'm extremely honored to follow him [Phillip Fulmer]. I'm not trying to be him. All I'm trying to do is carry on some of the things he's done.”

Kiffin is not perfect. Fulmer’s resume includes fifteen postseason appearances. Kiffin’s includes twenty contests. However, Kiffin is resolute. Given Tennessee’s insolence, his skill set is apt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home