Monday, December 08, 2008

Greg Winner Concludes Career

Major League Baseball covets the flamethrower. Authoritarian, robust monsters are cornerstones. Greg Maddux was never this. He was not churlish. He was not muscular. His fastball never seethed. Maddux was an artiste. His accuracy was exacting. His repertoire was exquisite.

On Monday, Maddux retired. “I really just came out here today to say thank you,” said Maddux. “I appreciate everything this game has given me. It's going to be hard to walk away obviously, but it's time. I have a family now that I need to spend some more time with. I still think I can play the game, but not as well as I would like to, so it's time to say goodbye.”

During his career, Maddux amassed a 355-227 record. He posted a 3.16 earned run average. He registered nine eighteen-plus win seasons. He showcased nine sub-3.00 earned run average seasons. He won four National League Cy Young Awards.

“Right now I think I want to take a year off and spend time with the family, do things that I have not been able to do because of baseball, and see if I like it or not,” said Maddux. “I assume I'll like it, but I also don't know about being out of the game. I don't really know a whole lot about anything, but I feel like I know a few things about baseball. I'm going to miss it, and hopefully I won't miss it too much.”

Winners are special. They will not own conversations. They will not parade merchandise. They will simply govern seasons. With an appearance, they will alter circumstances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home