Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Just Wince Baby

Al Davis is certifiable. He is not eccentric. He is not erratic. He is genius exsanguinated. From 1928-1976, Howard Hughes amassed an empire. He managed madness. Amidst his silver pajamas and smoked shades, Davis is another recluse.

On Tuesday, the Oakland Raiders fired Coach Lane Kiffin. During his press conference, Davis exploded. “I wanted to make it work, to be real honest,” said Davis said. “It's my belief that I would work and it could work. I wanted to make it work. Maybe I didn't want to admit that I'd made a mistake. And to be quite frank with you, I'm firing him for cause right now. I'm not firing him for anything else other than cause. I think he conned me like he conned all you people.”

Kiffin’s response was appropriate. “It [the firing] was something I wasn't proud of to be associated with, and I was embarrassed for him, to tell you the truth,” he said.

Since 2003, the Raiders have accrued a 20-64 record. They have fired Bill Callahan (15-17), Norv Turner (9-23), Art Shell (2-14), and Kiffin (5-15). Clearly, Offensive Line Coach Tom Cable’s challenge is pronounced. “This is in many ways a strange day,” said Cable. “I have a friend who lost a job. That's difficult in this business but, as we know, this is a business. It is time for us to move forward and to put the past behind us. ... We have a good coaching staff here and a good football team here.”

In 2000, former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue approached Cincinnati Bengals Owner Mike Brown. Tagliabue’s message was simple. Brown was an embarrassment. Commissioner Roger Goodell, Davis warrants a similar statement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home