Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Obama Discusses Terrorism, Dismisses Petraeus

Senator Barack Obama: “The situation in Afghanistan is perilous and urgent. We must act now to reverse a deteriorating situation. I welcome the growing consensus in the United States and Iraq for a timeline. If we responsibly end the war in Iraq, we can strengthen our military, step up our efforts to finish the fight against Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan, and succeed in leaving Iraq to a sovereign government that can take responsibility for its own future.”

“If I were in his shoes, I’d probably feel the same way. But my job as a candidate for president and a potential commander in chief extends beyond Iraq. I have to factor in the perceptions of the Iraqi people and the statements by Prime Minister Maliki and his spokespeople in public, that they are ready to see the Iraqi government take on more responsibility for security. So there are a range of factors that I have to take into account as a commander in chief or a potential commander in chief that I wouldn’t expect General Petraeus or anybody who’s just on the ground to have to take into account.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home