Monday, June 09, 2008

Following Bust, Bears Bounce Benson

On Monday, the Chicago Bears released Cedric Benson. On Saturday, Benson was charged with drunken driving. In one month, this transgression was his second. “Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate,” said General Manager Jerry Angelo. “As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions. When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team. Those who fail to understand the importance of 'team' will not play for the Chicago Bears.”

During his career, Benson has accrued 420 carries, 1,593 yards, and 10 touchdowns. In 2007, Benson recorded 196 carries, 674 yards, and 4 touchdowns. “I apologize for making the poor decision to drink and drive during the early morning of Saturday, June 7th,” Benson said. “Given the incident last month, it was a particularly bad decision. I have no excuse for this lack of judgment. Though I strongly believe that I am not guilty of any crime, I realize that the public and the Bears organization hold me to higher standard. Though my local attorneys will continue to work hard to prove my innocence, I confess to using poor judgment. Please accept my deepest apology.”

On June 25, 2007, the Bears released Tank Johnson. With Benson, they acted similarly. They showcased conscience. They were unambiguous. Clearly, the Bears require exemplary conduct.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home