Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dominik’s Second… Title & Retirement

Comebacks are unwise. They never rival the initial incarnation. Michael Jordan reappeared. He averaged only 21.2 points per contest. Reggie White returned. He scored only 5.5 sacks. Obviously, competition is infinite and innate. However, age rules ability.

On Monday, Dominik Hasek retired. “Physically, I'm felling great -- as well as ever,” he said. “I just don't feel that I'm ready to compete on the highest level. I need motivation. Right now, I don't feel it's there and I don't want to disappoint anyone.”

During his career, Hasek amassed a 389-223-82 record. He posted a 2.20 goals against average. He registered a .922 save percentage. Hasek accrued two Hart Trophies. He accumulated six Vezina Trophies. “You're splitting hairs if you pick one between Dom, Roy and Brodeur because they all had different styles,” said Steve Yzerman. “It's like comparing Mercedes, Ferrari to Porsche.”

Despite another championship, Hasek’s verdict is obvious. Akin to Jordan and White, his reappearance was unwarranted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home