Saturday, June 07, 2008

Baseline Survival

In 1998 and 1999, Serbia was ravaged. For seventy-eight days, Operation Allied Force shelled the fragile nation. Citizens were killed. Families were displaced. Property was eviscerated. Thankfully, Ana Ivanovic survived. Tennis were her savior.

On Saturday, Ana Ivanovic defeated Dinara Safina 6-4, 6-3. With her victory, Ivanovic garnered the French Open Championship. “This was amazing,” she said. “I still don't realize what happened. As a kid, when I used to go by bike to practice, I used to dream of this.”

During her career, Ivanovic has accrued seven singles titles. She has scored three Grand Slam finals appearances. “It was a very nervous match with lots of chances but I was able to keep my composure until the end,” she said. “I am very thrilled to be the champion.”

Artillery, mortars, and shrapnel are lethal. Diplomats cannot negotiate them. Humans cannot outrun them. On this afternoon, Ivanovic’s title should be celebrated. Her existence should be savored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home