Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Carolina Brown

Larry Brown is a vagabond. He is a champion, legend, mentor, teacher, and virtuoso. Still, he is traveled. His eyes are weary. His smile is worn. His face wears every mile.

On Tuesday, the Charlotte Bobcats hired Brown. According to him, commitment was critical. “I told Michael [Jordan], 'I'm not coming here unless I know you're fully committed,'” Brown said. “He told me that last year and he told me it again. You know how competitive he is. He wants to win. I can get to him at anytime, and he's surrounded himself with people that I really respect and like.”

Concerning Brown, Raymond Felton is ecstatic. “I'm very excited, of course,” he said. “Carolina guy. He loves his point guards, for one. And on top of that he's a great coach. He's going to come in every day and he's going to try to get us better. I'm definitely looking forward to this experience.”

During his career, Brown has logged a 1408-968 ledger. He has traversed the ABA, NBA, NCAA, and the Olympics. In Carolina (ABA – 168 games), Brown posted a 104-64 record. In Denver (ABA\NBA – 375 games), he racked a 251-134 record. In UCLA (NCAA – 69 games), he registered a 42-17 record. In New Jersey (NBA – 158 games), he tallied a 91-67 mark. In Kansas (NCAA - 171 games), he chalked a 127-44 record.

In San Antonio (NBA – 284 games), he posted a 153-131 ledger. In Los Angeles (NBA – 117 games), he tallied a 64-53 mark. In Indiana (NBA – 328 games), he logged a 190-138 record. In Philadelphia (NBA – 460 games), he accrued a 245-215 record. In Detroit (NBA – 164 games), he amassed a 108-56 ledger. In New York (NBA – 82 games), he tallied a 23-59 mark. Overall, Brown has garnered an Olympic Gold medal, an Olympic Bronze medal, an NCAA championship, an NBA championship, three conference championships, and ten division championships.

Concerning New York, Brown accepts responsibility. “I was a bad coach,” he said. “I did a bad job. I learned from that. But being out of it in the last few years, even though I had a title in Philly ... I just missed being around the game. I love it. I want to be a part of it.”

Charlotte is an immature franchise. Given this, Brown is perfect. His charges may be young. He may be old. Yet, he still cherishes teaching. He still craves success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home