Monday, January 28, 2008

State of the Union Reaction – Volume 2

Instapundit

OKAY, I HAVE TO GLOAT JUST A BIT: Bush led off with earmarks. His actions aren't as bold as I'd like, but still -- back in 2005 when PorkBusters started, nobody in Washington cared and members of Congress were bragging about pork. Now the State of the Union leads of with an attack on earmarks, to thundering applause. Yeah, a lot of it's a sham. But hypocrisy is the tribute vice pays to virtue, and this kind of hypocrisy indicates that the anti-earmark momentum is growing.

Minnesota Monitor

By the way, now that I'm in the last year of my presidency and weaker than I've ever been, let me say that we need to do something about global climate change! Forget all those times that I was working against curbs on carbon; that was when I was powerful!

Capitol Ideas

9:20 p.m.: We've moved on to education. From taxes to mortgages to healthcare to schools in seven minutes. Things feel a touch on the perfunctory side, no? There's more applause when the POTUS mentions No Child Left Behind. Blah, blah, blah ... accountability ... blah, blah, blah ... testing ... blah, blah, blah ... it's succeeding ...

Cherry Orchard

9:48: More than 20,000 of our troops are coming home. This administration’s reputation for truth is not good, so I don’t have any sense that this means 20,000 fewer troops will actually be in Iraq. Something tells me another 20,000 are going in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home