Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sharapova Ascends, Scores Third Major

Yesterday, we met her. Maria Sharapova was wholesome and adorable. She was entrancing. Today, she is aggressive, grunting, and hostile. In 2004, Sharapova scorched Serena Williams. She won Wimbledon. Since, she has scored one major title. Has she failed? Yesterday, Sharapova was nothing. Today, expectations burden her.

On Friday, Sharapova defeated Ana Ivanovic 7-5, 6-3. With her victory, Sharapova garnered the Australian Open Championship. “Sometimes when you're putting the work in it just seems so, so hard, and you never know when that work's going to pay off,” Sharapova said. “When you're going through tough moments, you never know when you're going to have good moments.”

Obviously, Ivanovic was disappointed. “I'm still young and I still think I have a lot of Grand Slam finals in front of me,” she said. “It hurts a bit now, but I'm sure I can learn from it.”

Amusements charm customers. They delight audiences. They enchant spectators. Champions win. Yesterday, Sharapova was a teenager. Today, she is a grizzled veteran. Many adored the intoxicating seventeen-year-old. However, I adore the winner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home