Monday, January 14, 2008

Joe Gibbs: Washington’s Saving Grace Exits

Joe Gibbs is an icon. Gibbs is a titan. He is a leader of men. He is a lion in winter. Gibbs’ age was irrelevant. He understood youth. He valued experience. He commanded respect. Gibbs was a throwback. Yet, he was modern. Gibbs was a singular blend, which will never be replicated.

On Wednesday, Gibbs resigned. He will remain as an adviser. However, his coaching and presidency tenures have concluded. “My family situation being what it is right now, I told him I couldn't make the kind of commitment I needed to make,” said Gibbs. “I hate to leave something unfinished. I made an original commitment of five years. I felt bad about that.”

According to Washington Redskins Owner Daniel Snyder, Gibbs warrants praise. “I give him all the credit for putting us in great position for the future,” Snyder said. “He's done a great job of stabilizing a situation that became unstable before, quite frankly.”

Despite Sean Taylor’s murder, the Redskins won their final four contests. En route to the playoffs, Washington defeated the Chicago Bears (24-16), the New York Giants (22-10), the Minnesota Vikings (32-21), and the Dallas Cowboys (27-6). Amidst this impressive streak, Quarterback Jason Campbell was injured. His replacement? Todd Collins. A non-starter for six years.

Overall, Gibbs logged a 171-101 ledger. He won Super Bowls XVII, XXII, and XXVI. He captured four conference championships. He accrued six division titles. He secured ten playoff appearances. During his first incarnation, Gibbs amassed a 140-65 record. During his second incarnation, Gibbs totaled a 31-36 tablet.

Potential successors include Offensive Coordinator Al Saunders and Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams. According to Gibbs, one will inherit a contender. “I think we've got a lot of pieces in place,” Gibbs said. “I personally want to be a part of that. I want to see it finished. ... Our fans deserve championships. I want to be a part of seeing that come to fruition.”

Gibbs’ second term was not a failure. Yes, his record declined. His success diminished. However, Gibbs’ legacy remains untarnished. Facing abysmal circumstances, Gibbs led the Redskins. He rallied the Redskins. He personified leadership. He salvaged a franchise, their season, and himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home