Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Brian Billick: Greatness Assumed, Firing Necessary

Brian Billick is arrogant. Billick is egotistical. He is opinionated, pompous, and self-important. His decisions are correct. His opinions are exact. Reality aside. Do I hate Billick? Concerning Billick, I am apathetic. I am merely stating the obvious. Billick is a preening schmo. Despite substantial evidence, he has never been wrong.

On New Year’s Eve, the Baltimore Ravens fired Billick. According to Owner Steve Bisciotti, the termination was justified. “I believed that it was time for a change, I believed that we have the nucleus of a team that can get back to the Super Bowl, and we felt that in the next five years we had a better chance with a new coach than leaving Brian in that position," said Bisciotti. “It's a gut feeling. I have one job here, and that's to have a leader that I think gives us the best chance. We have been losing more than winning lately.”

During his career, Billick amassed an 80-64 record. He won Super Bowl XXXV. He accrued two division titles. He secured four playoff appearances. Ultimately, Bisciotti fired him. However, the owner respects Billick. “How much blame you put on different people, and how much you hold yourself responsible is new to me,” he said. “I hope that over time that Baltimore views me as [good] an owner as Brian Billick was a head football coach. I've got some catching up to do to the man that I asked to step down today. The jury's out on me. Brian's already got his Super Bowl.”

Bisciotti’s decision is correct. Since 2004, the Ravens are 33-33. They are disintegrating. They are underachieving. Billick was responsible. He warranted dismissal. Next season, the Ravens may not improve. However, Billick would have prolonged their deterioration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home