Friday, October 26, 2007

Wilson Freed: Justice For America

On Friday, the Georgia Supreme Court freed Genarlow Wilson. According to the 4-3 majority, Wilson’s sentence was cruel and unusual punishment. “Each day that this young man spent in prison was a day too long,” said Congressman John Lewis (D-GA).

In 2003, Wilson was convicted and received ten years. His felony? The seventeen-year-old and his fifteen year old girlfriend enjoyed consensual oral sex. "I never gave up hope in our judicial system, and I never gave up hope in all the prayers people sent out for us," said Wilson’s mother Juannessa Bennett.

This decision was appropriate. Wilson deserved freedom. He committed no crime. He should have never been tried. He should have never been convicted. Personally, I hope this case induces thought. I hope this case adjusts attitudes. I pray our justice system improves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home